Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Sunny Florida Thanksgiving

We traveled to Florida for Thanksgiving week again this year. My parents and Stacy were already there for Stacy's end of the year tournament, so we flew out there on Sunday to meet up with them at Stacy's house. We stayed until Friday and really just spent a lot of time relaxing and doing a few fun things together...with a little ear infection for Cate thrown in. This should have been our first clue...
She just curled up and slept for both flights. I told Tony, "The only time Cole ever did this was when he was sick. I hope she's not sick." Well, she was. When we got to the Atlanta airport, she was running a fever. We were hoping it was just teething and gave her some medicine when we got to Stacy's and put her to bed.

The next day, everyone slept in (bonus of traveling to east coast time!). We ran to Target to get a few things, and Cole got a little Lego kit that he worked on with Stacy and my Dad a few times too.

We went to a place called Dune Dog for lunch and ate outside. I think everyone loved it. Cole keeps talking about his "chicken giggles" he got and the tattoo that Stacy messed up while trying to put it on him. She forgot to take off the plastic, so we had to buy a second one! The kids sat in this old car they had outside the restaurant while we were waiting.
The girls side.
The boys side.
After that we took Stacy's paddleboard out to the intercoastal waterway. Poor Cate still had a fever this morning, and it kept coming back after the medicine would wear off. She was a trooper and sat in the shade with me for awhile while we watched everyone paddleboard, but Tony and I took her home early while everyone else stayed and enjoyed the beach a little longer.
Stacy took Cole out first. He loved it!!
Tony went next and said it was a good leg workout!
My Mom was after him. She had paddleboarded before in Hawaii. So she knew what she was doing.
I went by myself for a little bit, and then for a little bit with Cole on board. I had a little trouble turning around. It took me like three tries! Haha! Everyone joked that they thought I was going to get stuck, but I wasn't worried! The water was pretty shallow!
Pop Pop and the Cate Girl enjoying the beach.
Cate slept a ton this day, and then it all went downhill on Monday night. She woke up during the night and threw up a little bit and was just burning up. Her temp was 103. We even called our pediatrician after we couldn't find a 24 hour urgent care to take her to. We ended up just giving her some more medicine, but she fell asleep with me while we were waiting for Tony to get back from the pharmacy.
After that eventful night, we knew we were going to take her to a pediatric urgent care in the morning. We all slept pretty late again after being up in the middle of the night, but we found a place to take her to soon after we were up. Her temp was super high again, around 103, and they wanted to get some medicine in her ASAP. We were worried about her throwing up again, but she never did. She kept the medicine down and it really helped the fever again. We did find out that she had an ear infection. They also did a test for the flu, which came back negative. The urgent care was actually really helpful. They took their time and really wanted to make sure she was going to keep the medicines down, would nurse and keep that down, and didn't have anything else going on besides the ear infection. They didn't just diagnose and run us out the door, which I appreciated. We were there for 2 hours though! I'm so glad my Mom came with me too!
While we did the doctor visit, the boys and Stacy went to play golf at Stacy's course where she plays/practices. I hoped that Cole could make it 18 holes with them, so he could have a good time and not sit at the doctors with us. What was I worried about? He had the time of his life! Playing golf was one of his favorite things from the trip!
He struck a pose on the bridge.
He got to have lunch out at the course.
He loved riding in the cart with his #1 Stace. Apparently he even made a really long (15 ft?) putt on one hole! He keeps talking about that too. :)

On Wednesday, it was a little rainy, so we decided to go to the mall for awhile. Cole got a Batman Build a Bear from Stacy which he named Brewster! Cole and Pop Pop also had matching shirts...what are the odds!
On Thanksgiving day, we ate dinner around 3 PM out at Stacy's course like we did last year. We actually enjoy the fact that none of us have to cook or clean up! The food is delicious too! Cole also loves that he can hit a few more balls with Stace.

Cate was starting to feel a little bit better. She was still pretty fussy at times, but her fever had gone away. She had a few days of antibiotics by this time too.
Cate loved hanging out with Daddy during the meal. She actually ate a few crackers, so we knew her appetite was coming back a little bit too.
And a group photo after dinner!
This was honestly a pretty exhausting trip with Cate, but that's what you get sometimes when you have kids, I guess. We've really been lucky and never had a sick kid when we've traveled before, and I'm ok if it doesn't happen again! It's just hard for them to not be feeling well and to be away from all the conveniences and familiarity of home. I was glad that there were so many of us that we could split up and still have moments of a normal trip and make sure that Cole still had a good time too. We definitely had a lot of family time and time just relaxing around Stacy's house, which was fun too.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails