Thursday, January 30, 2014

Cate Ann Is Here!

I haven't written in awhile because we've been a little busy around here! Cate decided to come a few days early on Saturday, January 18th. Two days ahead of her due date.
The three of us went out to dinner on Friday night and decided to go to Charleston's. We joked that maybe she would come on Saturday because we went to dinner there the night before Cole was born too. Cole's was a scheduled induction though, but we figured she really wouldn't come until after her due date. Our family dinner date must have done the trick though! I was having a few contractions that evening, but nothing out of the ordinary and figured they would go away when I went to bed, and they did for awhile. However, I woke up at 2 AM with contractions again, and this was not normal. I'd never woken up with them before. So I started looking at the clock whenever I had one just to see if they were regular and how far apart they were. Sure enough, they were about 15 minutes apart for a few hours. They weren't very painful though, but I wasn't really getting much sleep. So, at 6 AM I woke Tony up and told him I was having contractions and couldn't sleep and I was going to lay on the couch and watch TV. He got up an hour or so later. By then the contractions were about 10 minutes apart, still not painful, but regular. We called my Mom, woke her up, and told her she probably wanted to start driving to our house. I also called the hospital, and they told me not to come in until the contractions were 5 minutes apart. So we spent the rest of the day just waiting. We did go to the grocery store and Tony went for a run early in the morning. The contractions stayed about the same for a few hours, but got a little closer together, like 7-9 minutes apart. We put Cole down for his nap at 1:00 and shortly after that, the contractions started to get more intense. I was having to breathe through them and would have to stand still or sit down. They still did not get any closer together though. So we figured we still had some time. By the time my Mom was an hour away, I told Tony that I thought we needed to leave as soon as she got here. It was just getting too painful to stay at home and wait. By some miracle, my Mom made it to our house by 3:45, Cole was up from his nap, and we were out the door to the hospital by 4:00. We were so happy that my Mom would be there to take care of Cole and we didn't have to worry about sending him off with someone else.

We got to the hospital, checked in, and went to the area where they check to see if you are in fact in labor. I was thinking if they say I'm not far enough dilated, it's going to be really disappointing because these contractions were not feeling good. Luckily, I was already dilated to 6 cm and she said my water was right there ready to break. Good thing it hadn't already! The nurse had to draw my blood to check my platelet levels because they had gotten below normal. This would determine if I could get an epidural. Thankfully, they came back higher than they had been throughout my pregnancy, and were in the normal range. I also tested positive for GBS, so they had to start antibiotics right away. I guess they like to get four hours worth of antibiotics, but the nurse said she didn't think that was going to happen with how far into labor I was. I think I ended up with two hours worth of it though.

So they took us right back to a labor room after all that. The contractions were definitely getting stronger, and I was hoping I could get the epidural soon. The anesthesiologist came right away to do the epidural, and I was already dilated to 8 cm by then. The doctor decided to break my water even though I hadn't had the four hours of antibiotic because she felt it wouldn't benefit the baby to stay in this far into labor. All of this happened very quickly. During this time Tony had left to meet my Mom and Cole, and came back to find out that a lot had happened. We visited with my Mom and Cole for about an hour. Then around 7 PM, we told them they should go get something to eat because we didn't know how long it was going to be. I guess right after they left the room, Cole was very adamant about not leaving the hospital. So they found some vending machine food to hold them over. Right after they left, I told Tony I didn't feel very good and he went to get the nurse. When she came in, she checked to see how much I had dilated because sometimes you can feel different when it's time. She sounded very surprised, when she's time to have this baby! So all the activity started, getting the room ready, and doctors and nurses there. I pushed through three contractions, and she was born at 7:39 PM! She weighed 8 pounds 3 ounces and was 21 1/4 inches long. The time at the hospital had flown by because we stayed at home for so long! The timing could not have been better, and our minds were at ease because Cole was taken care of.
Although, I didn't think being induced was a bad experience and I wasn't in as much pain because I had an epidural earlier on, I felt so much more with it during this delivery without the extra medicines. I remember so much more too, but that's probably because I knew more of what to expect. We were excited that Cate was able to lay on me right away and for a long time too. Cole had some trouble coming out and needed to be taken care of by nurses at first. So, that was also different.

My Mom and Cole could not believe that in the time they were gone, we were having the baby already! So, they were able to come in once everything was all settled and meet Cate. Cole also got a few big brother presents. He was a big fan of all of those that he kept getting!

We stayed in the labor room for a few hours to let the epidural start to run out. It was after 10 PM by the time we changed rooms and were able to have something to eat and try to get some sleep for the night. The first night in the hospital is the worst! So many people coming to check on you and bringing the baby in and out for feedings. Not much sleep is going on! We spent all day Sunday hanging out. Cole and my Mom came up for lunch and then again at dinner time. He brought some toys for Cate that he wanted to show her and share with her.

Here's the sweetest thing...Cole holding Cate for the first time. He is so sweet with her and loves to give her kisses.

We also took our first family of four picture before Cole left for the night.

We knew we were going to be able to go home on Monday, but weren't sure if we would have to stay the full 48 hours, which would mean until 7:45 or so, or if we could go earlier. It all depended on what the pediatrician said. All of Cate's test for GBS and other things came back perfect, so we were able to leave earlier than expected. It was about 1 PM by the time we finally got everything together and ready to go. We were so ready to get home!

Cole helped push Cate to the nursery one last time for check out.

We got home, had lunch, nap time, and just hung out for the rest of the afternoon and evening. My Mom would be staying the rest of the week with my Dad coming on Thursday night. We made it though our first night pretty well. I think everyone was really tired and just happy to be home.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails