Thursday, August 22, 2013

Denver & Solheim Cup Week

We were so excited for this week and trip out to Denver. We left on Tuesday afternoon to meet up with my parents, cousins, aunts, and one uncle (on my Dad's side). We got there early in the week so we could have some time to hang out with everyone and have some fun before all the golf started. We stayed at the Inverness Hotel in Englewood which is on the southeast side of Denver. It seemed like a pretty newly developed area. All the restaurants and houses seemed very new. There were tons of restaurants and shopping around our hotel which was nice and convenient especially once all the golf started. On Tuesday night, we pretty much just met everyone for dinner and got checked into the hotel.

On Wednesday, the guys all went to play golf. I'm not sure where they played this day, but it wasn't too far away. Cole was up early...the time change just throws him the first night. So my Mom and I decided to take him to do something before we met up with my aunts and girl cousins. We decided on the Forney Transportation Museum because Cole loves all things cars and trains. It was a little bit of a drive for us because it was on the north side of Denver, about 35 minutes. It was so worth it though! Cole LOVED this place. They had a matchbox car collection and a train that he could "drive" with the small fee of $0.25 (which he got to do twice). Once we were in the actual museum, they had a lot of cars ranging from the 1800s to 1960s that had been restored or just kept in really good condition. It was also really cool because they had actual train cars and steam engines that were huge! They also had a room of old bikes and motorcycles, but by the time we got there we had already been there for over an hour and Cole was getting a little antsy to go back and drive the little train.
I can't even explain how much fun Cole had here! He seriously asked to go back every morning that we were there! It was his dream come true!

After the museum, we met up with the other girls in the downtown area and went to the 16th St. Mall. It's a closed to traffic street with lots of restaurants and shops. We really just had time to eat lunch with them at a Corner Bakery and had to head back towards the hotel so Cole could take his nap. He did love posing for pictures on top of these shopping bags around the mall area.
We got to see Stacy all dressed up for their Gala dinner.
On Wednesday, the guys played golf again in the morning. We had the Opening Ceremony for the Solheim Cup, so we wanted to make sure Cole got a good nap in. My Mom and I just decided to go over to the mall for a little bit. We had lunch there and had some Ben & Jerry's for dessert. They have a seven layer coconut bar ice cream that is just amazing and I've only ever seen it at their ice cream shops. So I had to get some of that! Cole had milk & cookies flavor. He's an ice cream fan just like Tony an me.
Later in the afternoon we went out to the golf course to go to the Opening Ceremony. We got a good seat on the hill and cheered really loud for the US Team and our Stacy.
Friday was our first day out at the golf tournament. Stacy played two rounds, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. We let Cole sleep in because we knew it was going to be a long day. We took the shuttle bus out to the course (which took forever) and met up with the rest of the family. Unfortunately, Stacy and her teammate didn't win either match on Friday. We ended up eating lunch and staying at the course for both rounds, but Cole fell asleep during the second round and I was super tired from walking the hills and the altitude, so I took Cole inside to the clubhouse to relax and get some food and drinks. He ended up sleeping for an hour on the booth seat! He was pretty cute all stretched out.
Stacy played in the morning on Saturday, so we wanted to make sure we got out there for most of it. We decided to skip the shuttle bus and use the parking pass that got us closer to the course, which saved us a lot of time. Stacy and her teammate played better and won their match of the last hole. So that was pretty exciting. We made it home in the afternoon for Cole to take a late nap after getting some lunch with the family.
Sunday was the last round where everyone played individual matches and Stacy was first teeing off. They didn't play until afternoon, so we got to see the whole match. She played really well and tied to where they each got half a point. The first tee was awesome with all the fans going crazy cheering!
We had really large groups of people going to eat every night!
The US ended up losing by quite a bit, but they gave it a good shot the last day. They really had to win an overwhelming amount of matches on Sunday to win, and it just didn't happen. We still had a good time and were so glad that we were able to go! We got to see a lot of family and friends and love that we could be there to support Stacy. It's a pretty busy, stressful week for her. It's also really cool to see how many fans and followers she has! She's a big deal! I had so many people come up to me and ask me if I was her sister, or I would hear people say "that's Stacy's sister" as I walked by! It was so crazy! We hope that we're able to go to more Solheim Cups in the future...maybe even one in Europe?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails