Tuesday, September 16, 2008

We Are Safe

It has been an interesting last few days for Beth and I. It started last Thursday when Beth found out that she didn't have school and I found out that the terminal I work at would be closing at noon on Friday. I was supposed to be off work Friday anyway so it didn't really matter to me, but I was excited that Beth was going to be home too. We spent Friday just doing our normal stuff. We kept an eye on the weather throughout the day and were thinking that we were probably going to get hit with some of Hurricane Ike. Little did we know that the eye of the storm would basically go right over our house.

As we were watching CNN around 7 p.m. Friday night a viewer from Spring, TX(where we live) wrote in asking what kind of winds to expect. The meteorologist said 95+ mph winds. When Beth and I heard that we kind of freaked a little bit. We weren't expecting this at all. So before we went to bed, we took all of the couch cushions and a bunch of blankets and put them in the closet of our bedroom which is probably 5 ft. by 8 ft. and easily big enough for the both of us to sleep. We decided to set the alarm for 2 a.m. and get in the closet if we needed to. At about 1:30 a.m., Beth and I turned to each other(we couldn't sleep b/c of the constant winds and rain outside) and said, "you ready to get in the closet?" So we jumped up, got in the closet and about 20 minutes later, the power went out.

Needless to say, it was a wild night. And we were glad when it finally got light outside the next morning. Fortunately for us we had no real damage to our house and we were both safe. We spent Saturday checking everything out and figuring out how people ever lived without electricity. Here we are on Tuesday and we still have no power. We were also without running water for part of the day on Sunday. Our cell phones barely work and you can't find a loaf of bread or a gallon of gas anywhere.

We went to College Station on Sunday night b/c they have power and gas and all of their restaurants are open. So we enjoyed a hot meal at Cheddar's and saw Janet(Beth's sister) for a few minutes. Beth's parents came back from Mobile, Alabama yesterday and we spent yesterday trying to help them get all of the debris picked up from their front and back yards. Some pictures of the damage are below. Last night we found a Mexican restaurant open and it took nearly three hours for us to eat. After we had ordered, they made an announcement that they were out of food. Luckily we got our food, but they ran out of everything else. They did have cold beer though which Beth's Dad and I both enjoyed immensely. After that we met up with some friends at TGI Friday's to watch part of the Monday night football game. Because of the curfew being enforced all over Houston, Friday's had to close at 9, but luckily we found another place open showing the game and only serving drinks. Technically they were breaking the law by staying open, but who cares, we got to watch the game and relax for a little while. Who knows when our power will be back on. Tonight we're going back to College Station. Beth is off work all week and I don't have to be back at work until Friday. I'd say it's been a nice vacation but I feel like I need a vacation now. Thanks to everyone for all of your phone calls and well wishes.

I am writing from Beth's Mom's office right now and who knows when I'll be able to get on a computer again. We'll keep you posted.


mary said...

Thanks so much for calling me and am so glad ya'll are safe!!! Hang in there!

afoos said...

I'm so glad you guys are okay, we started to worry....

Have fun on your week off!

Related Posts with Thumbnails